20.7.07

A runner's life is never easy

Do you ever wish you didn't bother? Don't get me wrong. I have the best intentions when it comes to running and generally love it.

Lately though it seems as though someone is seriously trying to stop me running. Here’s the evidence:


1. On the day of my last race there was a heat wave. Now before you ask yes this was in England, hard to believe I know. That's what makes it so frustrating. Every other day of our so called summer it has been piddling it down and then on the one day I'm racing there's a blummin' heat wave which leaves me struggling to complete the race and suffering with heat stroke when I finally do.


2. Whilst on holiday in France it did nothing but rain. Now, when you're camping in the rain the last thing you can do and want to do is go for a run. So that was two weeks out the window.


3. When I went for my first run since said holiday I was struck by a nasty sickness bug which meant that not only did I have to walk back through the centre of Bath looking rather green, but I then had to clamber back in to bed and call in sick at work.


4. Once feeling better I got up bright and early and raring to go only to find that biblical stylee rain is falling outside and that I would be better off going for a row than a run. Needless to say I went back to bed. Again.

5. Later that day the rain has temporarily stopped so high on Starbucks cake and coffee I decide now is time for my run. All is going well and I'm enjoying myself until I catch a glimpse at my arm and discover that somehow a very ill bird has managed to poo all over my arm, shoulder and top. How long I had been running along with said excrement all over my upper body I don't know. Again I find myself shamefully plodding through the centre of Bath.

So next time you see a runner and enviously mutter, "Smug git!" under your breathe, just bear in mind that it sometimes takes a lot to lace up your trainers and take to the road. It's a tough world for the lowly runner.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home